Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An eventful night......

About 4 years ago the night Chad and I moved into a new apt. (ella was 7 months old) he had his first seizure since I had known him. We had been moving all day, nothing was unpacked, so before we went to bed he decided it would be ok to not take his medicine that night....well, it wasn't. I woke up to Chad smacking his lips (this is one of my pet peeves) so in the middle of telling him to knock it off he started to have a seizure. Having never seen this before, I was pretty freaked out. I was praying and trying to stop him from falling off of the bed. When it finally ended(they only last a minute or two) I was relieved, but soon became even more freaked out when he was not coming too. After several minutes of trying to revive him, I start looking for our cell phone(remember we had just moved in, you couldn't even walk) I could not find it anywhere, and we had no land line since we had just moved in. By this time Ella had woken up and was screaming in her crib. I decided she was fine, and left her there so I could figure out what to do. I threw on my robe, and ran out to the car to find the phone. I still couldn't find it. I then ran back inside to check on Chad, because for all I knew he was dying. I then ran around to the other side of our building where some friends from our married student ward lived. I pounded on what I thought was their door for 5 min. No one answered so I ran back to check on Chad....he was still breathing...but I had no idea what to do(we were definitely not in a nice part of town, and I wouldn't even make eye contact with most of our neighbors let alone knock on their door at 2 a.m. I decided to go back to our friend's house and start pounding again....finally a very scared old woman answered the door, after apologizing for waking her up(our friends lived one more floor up!) I asked her to call 911. I then ran up to the right apt., and they came to the door right away. They rushed over with me, Allison went in and got Ella, and Nathan gave Chad a priesthood blessing. As soon as the blessing was over, Chad came too and started talking, asking what was going on(I am so grateful for the two of them!) Shortly after this the paramedics arrived, and I finally figured out Chad's Dad's cell phone number.......long story short, he was ok. This was probably the scariest thing I have ever gone through, thinking I might lose my husband.
Since then Chad has had two more seizures, both at night while he is sleeping, thank goodness, and one of them was last night. It had been 2 1/2 years since his last one....so just when you start getting comfortable..... I have to say I was much more calm. It is still extremely scary, but I know what to do now. I just make sure he doesn't harm himself...let it pass, then wait for him to come too. This is the hardest part, because even though he has been fine the other times, I get so frightened that he will not wake up.
I'm sharing this story, because I am just overwhelmed with my love for my husband. Last night when we were at the E.R. he kept telling me how sorry he was, but I told him I would take him with seizures anyday over no Chad at all.

5 comments:

SeƱora Daiana said...

Wow that is scary I hope he is doing okay.please let me know if I can do anything for you guys. Dinner or even take the kids for you.Let me know.

"The Savages" said...

Wow, that is so scary! How's Chad? Hope every thing's OK let me know if you need anything! Take Care and Love ya!

Bridgette said...

Thanks guys. That is really sweet of both of you. We are actually doing just fine. Chad is fine, he just needs of couple of days to sleep it off. Its great to have good friends like you!

Lilli said...

Seriously Bridgette, why am I just hearing about this!? Love you guys, and I hope you know I am always here to help!

Ashley McKinnon said...

That breaks my heart. Chad has a good wife! And you have a good husband!