Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A little white lie.......

A few weeks ago this is what went down while looking at the fish at Wal-Mart

"Mom, I really miss Sparkle!"

(Sparkle is Ella's male beta fish we got her last year for Christmas...it couldn't exactly make the trip across country, so by default Auntie Holly became the proud new owner of Sparkle. I had explained to her several times that Auntie Holly would take good care of Sparkle, and that we couldn't bring her with us because she would probably die during the trip!)

"I know honey, but we'll get to see her soon during Christmas time, and Kate and Auntie Holly are taking really good care of her!" (Sparkle is actually a boy, but any time I tried to tell Ella this she insisted that Sparkle was a girl!)

Ella trying not to cry "But, Mom I really miss her!" Then came the water works, not the whining kind, but the actual I am so sad kind.

Mom's little white lie (I thought of you Lilli, when I told her this...hopefully you are doing better with the not lying thing then I am!)

"Ella, you know we weren't able to bring Sparkle with us, but I know someone who could get her here. SANTA! He can use magic to do anything! I will call Santa tonight and tell him to go and get Sparkle and deliver her to the pet store here, and then we can go pick her up!"

"Really Mom!"

Covering my bases..."Yes, really, but we'll have to tell him to leave a look-a-like Sparkle for Kate, so that she doesn't get to sad."

"Yeah good idea Mom"

About a week later at the Pet store.......looking at betas, hoping to find a Sparkle look-a-like.....I spot one!

"Ella is this Sparkle?"

"SPARKLE!!!!!"

hook line and sinker!

"Santa must have brought her last night, and was going to call us later, look it says Ella's fish right there"

"Where?"

Shooing her along...."Right there see, lets go!"

The cashier went in on it with me....we got "Sparkle" home, and Ella is a true believer in Santa!

A lie I know, but my daughter is as happy as a clam!!!!

9 comments:

Ashley McKinnon said...

That's hilarious! Heavenly Father understands those types of little white lies so you're good. :) Smart thinking too. That's way better than what I could have come up with. You must have more practice.

cwilson said...

If you get in trouble for that lie...we're all in trouble! That's so cute! I bet she was one happy girl.

sam, leland, carter & grayson said...

While blogstalking I happened to stumble upon your blog. That's a hilarious story. Anyways, our blog is private so email me your addy so I can add u to my friends list. lealaitafea@gmail.com

Heather said...

Bridge, that was so clever and totally funny! Kids want so badly to believe in things like Santa and the Easter Bunny. I thinkg it's ok to give them a little "proof" now and then.

mama g said...

This is absolutely priceless! This is a story that needs to go down in the archives of "Best little white lie" ever! Even Grandma approves! Love you!

holly said...

if you're i trouble for that little lie--then i guess you are taking me down with you as your accomplice--you left out the part when ella had to call her auntie holly to smooth things over (aka--calm her down!)

and--the excited phone call when she did indeed find that santa had brought sparkle all the way to georgia & they were reunited:)
"auntie holly!! santa bought sparkle to me!!!!!!!!!"

btw--"glen" is doing great & yesterday tayler was in kate's room calling him "sparky". it was really cute--maybe we should changed "glen's" name to "sparky"--of course named after "original sparkle".....

Lilli said...

HA! I too lie to Grace about Santa, so I guess I am no better than you! Love that we can create fictional characters with magical powers to do all sorts of stuff for us!

Momma Fish said...

Now that i have a child, I realize it is all about survival and if that means a little white lie to keep you all alive, that's ok.

Misty said...

Christmas lies are definitely allowed!