Monday, October 20, 2008

Answers















Last week I got a phone call from my little bro Gary around 8p.m. saying he was going to be at the Atlanta airport the next morning for a few hours! I was really excited to see him, and told him the kids and I would be there to pick him up around 5:45 a.m. and go have breakfast with him. It wasn't until after I hung up that I realized this meant waking the kids up at 4:30 in the morning, since it takes 45 min. to get to the airport from our house. As most of you know....it is not easy to wake up kids early....especially a 5 yr. old! And I knew we would have just enough time to get Ella to pre-school by 8 a.m. So I totally started to dread the morning, and honestly if Gary wasn't such a great uncle, I would have called him back and said it was a no go! As it was, I really wanted to see him so I decided to go to bed right then so I could wake up on time. As per the usual routine, I got down to say my prayers and asked Heavenly Father to please just make it a little bit easy in the morning. I of course woke up every hour worrying I would sleep through my alarm. My alarm went off at 4, and I immediately pressed snooze......I was so tired, and we would see Gary at Christmas, right?! Then at about 4:15 Owen started crying, which is not his usual routine, he normally wakes up around 7. But I thought, well he's up....thats good I guess. He kind of quieted down then, and my alarm went off again....snooze again....I was really tired. Then at 4:40 Ella came into my room, and said "Mom, is it time to get up?" I looked at her and said, "Well, actually it is...Do you want to go see Uncle Gary?" She was so excited! So we hurried up and got ready....grabbed Owen, and were out the door in about 20 min. They both thought it was pretty cool to be up while it was still dark!
Now I know this is a really simple thing, but it really struck me. I asked Heavenly Father to help me, and He did. I ask for things all the time, and I think sometimes I forget that He really is listening to me....and when I receive blessings and answers it's because He is there for me.
We had a great visit with Gary! Owen was especially excited to see his cool Uncle! And Ella, who I was afraid was going to be a nightmare at preschool since she was so tired, was just fine! Her teachers said she told everyone how she got to go to the airport and see her Uncle.

6 comments:

Ashley McKinnon said...

Aren't the little blessings the best?

holly said...

my first thoughts--it isn't easy to wake up bridgette in the morning!! (blaming it on the kids...)

i'm sure gary was thrilled to see some of his family--so it was well worth the effort (& the prayer)it took!

"The Savages" said...

Thanks for your blog! it helps to know that He is there even in the small things! :)

Lillian said...

great post! I sent Ella's present in the mail the other day...FINALLY! Sorry it took me so long. love you!

mama g said...

What a sweet picture. It does my heart good to see my children and grandchildren appreciate each other and the good things in life. The effort is always worth it when we share our love with each other.

Misty said...

So cute.